Sunday, May 16 :: 2-3:30p
Childcare is available
Safe Families for Children is a faith-based movement who hosts vulnerable children and creates extended family–like supports for desperate families through a community of devoted volunteers who are motivated by compassion to keep children safe and families intact.
In many situations, parents or guardians may be incapable of providing a safe and caring environment for their children, putting them at risk of abuse and neglect. Most state child welfare agencies are required, under law, to rescue only those children who suffer blatant abuse or neglect, leaving thousands of children at risk. Safe Families for Children keeps families together. Research shows that children who grow up in their own families leads to better outcomes in terms of sense of identity, educational attainment, overall stability, and employment.
What do Safe Family Volunteers do?
- Host Families: Screened and approved by Safe Families, Host Families take in children for short periods of time.
- Family Friends: They provide support to Families in Need (e.g., mentoring and transportation) and Host Families (e.g., babysitting and providing meals).
- Resource Friends: They provide various types of goods and services to families in need to help parents get back on their feet.
- Family Coaches: They are trained to provide resources and casework-like services to families in crisis. They also ensure that kids are well cared for in Host Family homes.
- Safe Families Churches: These are spiritual communities that support Safe Families as a ministry of their church. There are three church levels: Participating Church, Lead Church, and Community Lead Church.
We invite you to consider being a part of this great ministry in some way. RSVP for the informational meeting.